Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TUTORIAL How to update gpaedia and menu files with a new seasons data

petrus

Piloto GP2
25 de Abril de 2012
Puntuación de reacción
GPaediaMaker Tutorials

In the following tutorials I will provide information about GPaediaMaker and give some room for questions.

This tool is made to make gpaedia file creation for a new season a much less time consuming task.
You put your data into 3 csv files using your favourite spreadsheet program, control your options with an ini file, and generate your gps files in just half a minute.

GPaediaMaker has developed since it's first release in may 2012. Menu file (those with the str ending) creation has been added. A free format option has been included which gives you the possibility to depart from GP4 gpaedia standard format using 3 additonal format csv files.

With the guide included in the program package I want you to understand every aspect of the program.
You can explore this documentation here under
(last version: 1.59, 2019-10-12)

Examples:

Última edición:

petrus

Piloto GP2
25 de Abril de 2012
Puntuación de reacción
Notepad - yes, indeed that's how I began with gpaedia writing - actually I preferred notepad++ :)

... and gave up after creating the season 2009 English.gps.
"Why shouldn't I use my time better by creating a tool?" then came into my mind.
I began to examine the gps files and builded a program that extracted the constant parts into text files and the season depending parts into csv files. A couple of month later I added the txt2gps program which did it the other way around - GPaediaMaker was born.

The advantages compared to notepad editing are huge.
Not only you get all five language gpaedia while you only have to input the english part (that makes it at least 5 times quicker), but you can also use trackspecific driver replace and/or team/driver switch. For example the 1991mod will be created with 11 gps files per language due to driver replace files. That amounts to 55 gps files. Doing it with an text editor would be unthinkable.

Última edición:

petrus

Piloto GP2
25 de Abril de 2012
Puntuación de reacción
Creating GPaedia for a CSM mod with team selection

Sometimes in a season more than 11 teams are participating.
In a CSM mod it is possible to provide a team selection e.g. for team11.
We will now learn how to create gpaedia with GPaediaMaker (version 1.06 or higher needed) for such a mod.
The will be our example.

Última edición:

petrus

Piloto GP2
25 de Abril de 2012
Puntuación de reacción
Creating GPaedia for a CSM mod with track selection

Sometimes a season has got more than 17 races, especially 2005 and those since 2009.
GP4 can only handle 17 tracks at the most, but in a CSM mod it is possible to provide a selection for all tracks and group them into tracklists.
We will now learn how to create gpaedia with GPaediaMaker (version 1.07 or higher needed) for such a mod.
The will be our example.

Última edición:

petrus

Piloto GP2
25 de Abril de 2012
Puntuación de reacción
A userformat example explained in detail

In contrast to the GPaediaMaker Guide, where userformat is introduced with a complete example (1991mod), in this tutorial I will discuss only one aspect in detail. Hopefully this will help you to better understand how userformat can be created.

Our example will be the again. We only will consider one aspect of the teamformat.

Última edición:

petrus

Piloto GP2
25 de Abril de 2012
Puntuación de reacción
Using "#" as cell entry

Character "#" as only entry in a cell of a data csv file will completely suppress gpaedia output.
Even the header and all formatting given in the "lineformat" column will be ignored.
Two examples may help you understand it's use.

#1: Alternative rows
#2: Creating output for special columns only

Última edición:

munnzy199

Piloto GP2
Supporter VIP
Puntuación de reacción
good work here take notes everyone i will be asking questions later lol :)
regards to all
RIP Daddy Button

petrus

Piloto GP2
25 de Abril de 2012
Puntuación de reacción
Creating GPaedia for a CSM mod with team- and track-selection

The most complicated case is a season with more than 11 teams and more than 17 tracks.
We will now learn how to create gpaedia with GPaediaMaker (version 1.36 or higher needed) for such a mod.
The will be our example.
This mod has already got gpaedia files - english/español made by Jorge, others by kedy89 - supporting team- and track-selection as well as trackspecific display. One really has to admire the authors for their efforts to accomplish this. All the same it's still worth to make an update using the GPaediaMaker tool. One reason is, that the original gpaedia is kind of uncomplete, e.g. tracks gpaedia data and the non-trackspecific english and espanol files for hrt are missing. Another is, that correcting data can be done much easier once you have the CSV files to create all the necessary gps files from.

petrus

Piloto GP2
25 de Abril de 2012
Puntuación de reacción
Conditional row processing

This feature of GPaediaMaker allows you to control the processing of special labeled CSV file rows with the INI file specifications valid_rows, valid_driver_rows, valid_teamrows and valid_trackrows. Labeling is done by adding a # as the first character of the first (english) columns entry in the format CSV file followed by a space or a number (1 or 2). The corresponding rows in the data CSV file have the same header as the format file but without the #n label.
You have to specify "user_format = 1" in your INI file when using conditional row processing.
Example #1 shows different ways of marking a row and how to use them. It is based on gpaedia development for the .
Example #2 shows how to select alternate team table rows "Drivers". It is taken from a generation of and includes the use of the transform function _%Drivers%.

Última edición:

petrus

Piloto GP2
25 de Abril de 2012
Puntuación de reacción
GPS to CSV tutorial

This tutorial will give you a deeper understanding of a gpaedia gps files structure and the basics of the GPaediaMaker tool.
As an example the original english GP4 gps file is analysed with comments from the viewpoint of the released on october 8, 2018 (last update v1.30 2018-10-14).
This program reads gps files and creates csv and text files from this data, that GPaediaMaker can use. Please read the " " to get the basic information about it.

Última edición:
Arriba Pie